What is a cover letter?
A cover letter, also known as a letter of motivation, is an introductory letter that is supported by a résumé or curriculum vitae.
What to include in a cover letter?
Here are a few crucial points to include in your cover letter:
- Your personal information (e.g., name, address, phone number)
- Name of the potential employer (if available)
- Where did you find the job opening?
- Why are you a good fit for the job?
- What are your relevant skills for the position?
- What you can do to help the business?
- Closing statements
How to write a cover letter?
A cover letter should be one-page long with an average of 250-400 words.
- Header: Add your contact information
- Salutations to the recruiting manager
- First paragraph: Mention your most notable accomplishments
- Second paragraph: Give reasons why you're the best applicant for the job position.
- Third paragraph: Give reasons why you're a good fit for the company
- Add closing remarks
Why is a cover letter important?
According to 53% of employers, merely a resume is considered as insufficient for a job opening. A cover letter is viewed by 49% of recruiters as a consideration that will cause them to pay greater attention to your application.
A cover letter provides more background knowledge in regards to your application. The purpose of the cover letter is to showcase your strongest qualifications and achievements, clarify the missing details from your CV, and offers an opportunity to present more of yourself.