What is Just Cause Termination?
In contrast to employment at will, just-cause termination indicates that an employee's employment will not be terminated without prior notice and the process of informing the employee in writing of job performance issues.
What are the reasons for Just Cause Termination?
When an employee's employment is terminated for cause, it is for a reason that is communicated to the employee and stated in the termination letter.
Any actions that an employer considers to be grave misconduct may result in termination for cause. These are some examples of such situations:
- Infringement on the company's code of conduct or ethics policy
- Failure to adhere to company policy
- Contract infringement
- Violence or the threat of violence
- Threats or threatening behaviour directed at a coworker or a customer
- Taking money or property from a company
- Falsifying documents
- Extreme disobedience
- Failure to pass an alcohol or drug test
- Conviction for certain crimes
- Online pornography viewing
- Falsifying information on a job application