What is a Walk-In Interview?
A walk-in interview is like an informal meet-and-greet session that is arranged by companies for interviewing a bunch of people in a short time. Unlike scheduled interviews, you don’t need to take up a formal appointment.
Companies generally have walk-in interviews when they are planning to recruit a number of people at the same time, or at career fairs. Walk-in interviews do not last for as long as a formal interview, and only a few most important questions are asked to the candidates.
When a candidate gets shortlisted, they generally have to go through another round of detailed and formal interview, but sometimes candidates can get selected from the walk-in interview itself. It’s unlike how a Gen Z candidate would go about it but walk-in interviews can be highly effective otherwise.
How do walk-in interviews work?
One of the most difficult forms of job interviews to participate in is the walkin interview. When all of the applicants arrive at the same time, a candidate will be competing with a bunch of people for the same position. One-on-one interviews might take place in an interview or meeting room. Alternatively, tables may be put up for recruiters to speak with applicants informally.
The interviews will only last a few minutes. Applicants may be requested to stay to discuss a job with a recruiter in further depth, or a second interview may be scheduled at a later time. Applicants are sometimes offered a job right away.
1. Interviews over a duration of time
Walkin interviews are usually scheduled for a certain time slot and are first-come, first-served. These interviews are frequently arranged for seasonal jobs or by businesses trying to fill a large number of positions at once. Companies that have a constant need for new personnel may conduct walk-in interviews on a daily or weekly basis.
2. Job Fair Interviews or Other Hiring Events
Open interviews are sometimes utilised during job fairs or when a company is in town for a short period of time particularly to employ. They're held to get as many candidates vetted as possible before moving on to the next stage of the interview process.
What are the benefits of walk-in interviews for employers?
Here are the benefits of walk-in interviews for employers;
1. For checking their efficiency.
2. It helps them to meet a large number of prospective candidates in a short span of time.
3. Helps in quick decision making as recruiters get to meet the candidates face to face, and helps them in making the impression whether they’ll be a cultural fit in the organization or not.
4. Saves both time and resources of the organization.
What are the benefits of walk-in interviews for job seekers?
Here are the benefits of walk-in interviews for job seekers;
1. It is more of a casual meeting than the normal formal meeting.
3. It gives them a formal idea about themselves being a cultural fit or not.