Payroll Accountant Job Description
We are looking for an experienced payroll accountant to overview daily payroll operations in our company.
To ensure success as a payroll accountant, you should demonstrate knowledge of applicable tax laws and ideally have experience in a similar role. A first-class payroll accountant will be detail-oriented and someone who can accurately and timely process salaries.
If you meet these criteria and you have a degree in Finance or similar field, we’d like to hear from you.
Payroll Accountant Responsibilities:
- Oversee employee paychecks
- Calculate net salaries considering deductions and withholdings
- Ensure payroll and tax documents are accurate
- Update general ledger and payroll files
- Prepare accounting files, records, and schedules
- Monitor paid and unpaid leaves
- Process overtime earnings or holiday deductions
- Resolve payroll problems (e.g. overlooked bank holidays, late payments, etc.)
- Answer employee questions concerning payroll
- Participate in payroll audits
- Ensure compliance with governmental laws on payroll accounting and taxes
Payroll Accountant Requirements:
- An associate's or bachelor's degree in accounting.
- Fundamental Payroll Certification (FPC) or Certified Payroll Professional (CPP) will be advantageous.
- A minimum of two years' experience as a Payroll Accountant, or in a similar role.
- Proficiency in Payroll Software, such as BrightPay and Payroll Mate.
- Extensive experience in preparing ledger entries and processing payments.
- In-depth knowledge of applicable tax laws.
- Experience in preparing payroll and tax reports, as well as answering payroll inquiries.
- Ability to maintain and update employees' payroll files.
- Excellent organizational and communication skills.