We ought to congratulate the man who discovered the science behind why we do things we’re told not to. For instance, the phrases below are one of those things a candidate should never say in a job interview but he/she might end up saying it and ruin a strong first impression.
“It’s nice to meet you. And, who are you again?”
Or, “Who are you voting this election?”
Or something like, “Let me be honest.”
Jeff Haden says the last phrase indicates that you haven’t been honest or open or forthcoming to this point. True. Science, or rather a man on the internet, defines impulsivity as “the tendency to act without thinking.” It also adds, “To a degree, this kind of behaviour is common and isn’t necessarily a sign of trouble.” It isn’t. Unless you lose a job opportunity because of it, or end up being kicked out of the conference room.
Now, we’re not going to dwell into any kind of behavioural science or into “Serious Tips on What Not to Say in an Interview.” This is rather fun, because we thought of reviving the spirit of job seekers and bringing back a long-lost gem: a random Twitter trend that took over the internet and spread like wild fire.
And the tweets are hilarious.
26 funniest phrases (in five words) to ruin a job interview
1. The risk it for the biscuit
2. The “question I wished I hadn’t asked”
3. The “question I wished I hadn’t answered”
4. The “question I wished I hadn’t answered” pt. 2
Also read: Let's get rid of hiring interview questions cliches by Dorothy Dalton
5. The self-sabotage
6. The “wish I had kept quiet”
7. The one where Ellen joined
8. The self-sabotage pt. 2
Also read: Why you should hire introverts - and how by Cynthia Trivella.
9. The God complex
10. And the devil’s advocate
11. The “wish I had kept quiet” pt2.
Are you looking for some advice on job hunting? Watch: Tips and tricks for job seekers by Hannah Morgan.
12. The one where you got nothing to lose
13. Somethings are better left unsaid
14. Like this...
15. The “question I wished I hadn’t asked” pt. 2
16. The “question I wished I hadn’t asked” pt. 3
17. And when asked questions, answer!
For employers, also read: 12 interview questions for hiring simplifiers, not complicators by Lisa Bodell.
18. The God complex pt.2
19. The one that puts you behind the bars
20. And another...
21. Somethings are really better left unsaid
22. When the tables turn from "can you sell this pen?"
23. The “why are you even here?”
24. The one among our favourites
25. The one where you get kicked out of the room
26. Finally, as a tribute to Twitter...
Leave a reply
October 25, 2021
A very inspiring list. Thanks for putting this together
October 25, 2021
This is such a great list of women leaders! More power to you all