Category Manager Job Description
We are looking for a Category Manager to oversee a product group or category for our company. You will be in charge of the pricing and overall promotion of a product category in order to maximise consumer appeal. Relationship management with vendors and product line management will also be part of your responsibilities.
An excellent category manager must have extensive knowledge of consumer needs as well as the retail environment. They must have a business mindset and a thorough understanding of marketing and sales principles. Category managers must also have excellent communication skills.
The goal is to increase business sales and profitability in order to drive long-term growth.
Category Manager Responsibilities
- Data or insights should be analysed to determine industry and consumer trends.
- Create exit strategies for products that aren't selling well.
- Develop trusting relationships with vendors in order to achieve better pricing and service quality.
- Place appropriate orders to ensure that products are available to meet consumer demand.
- Determine a product category's positioning in order to maximise visibility.
- Collaborate with marketing teams to determine a product category's competitive pricing and promotional activities.
- Work with buyers and merchandisers to broaden product categories.
- Make product demand forecasts to ensure inventory sustainability.
- Assume responsibility for budget development and revenue generation for the category.
Category Manager Requirements
- Proven experience as a category manager or in a comparable role
- Knowledge of category management, marketing, and sales principles is required.
- A strategic thinker with an analytical mind
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Bachelor of Science/Bachelor of Arts in business administration, marketing, or a related field