Retail Buyer Job Description
We are looking for a skilled Retail buyer to select and purchase product lines on our behalf. The role is critical because our business activities cannot begin without the necessary inventory.
Our success is dependent on the quality and variety of products on our shelves. As a result, the ideal candidate must be a responsible individual who pays close attention to detail. You will also need to negotiate with suppliers as a retail buyer in order to secure competitive prices.
The goal is to ensure that the company always has enough stock to meet its needs. As a result, we can provide value to our customers through high-quality products while also facilitating long-term growth.
Retail Buyer Responsibilities
- Recognize customer preferences and predict consumer trends
- Determine the best supplier options based on price, quality, and other factors.
- Discover and buy new products, as well as assess the quality and popularity of those already on our shelves.
- Negotiate contract terms in order to get the best deal for our company.
- Ensure that products are delivered on time and that purchase contracts are followed.
- Stay updated on stock levels and plan the purchase decisions to stay within the budget.
- Establish and maintain trusting relationships with suppliers in order to promote fair dealing.
- Attend events, fairs, and exhibitions to stay current on market trends.
Retail Buyer Requirements
- Demonstrated experience as a retail buyer or in a related role
- Excellent communication skills
- Outstanding organisational abilities
- Ability to negotiate effectively is required.
- You're up to date on purchasing best practises.
- Knowledge of market research, data analysis, and forecasting techniques
- Excellent knowledge of Microsoft Office; working knowledge of purchasing software (e.g., SpendMap) is preferred.
- A high school diploma is required, and a BSc/BA in business administration or a related field is preferred.