What is job shadowing?
Job shadowing refers to on-the-job learning process in which a new employee observes and follows a skilled professional or colleague. Job shadowing training is also carried out when a student is trained for a particular position.
What are the advantages of job shadowing?
Job shadowing opportunities for employees or students starts by accompanying specialists on their working days, following their practices and learning how to understand and carry out the regular tasks.
Job shadowing benefits: (For current or new employees)
Job shadowing is a much richer process than reading a job description or conducting a theoretical session on the job role. Job shadowing allows the new employee to receive practical knowledge, hands-on experience and thorough understanding of the significant job role or position.
Job shadowing benefits: (For students)
With respect to students, the process of job shadowing helps them make a decision whether a career field is suited for their skills. It can be a great way to know if they want to pursue a specific career before applying for employment or internships.
Additionally, job shadowing helps students develop contacts in their career. Students get the opportunity to obtain a useful resource when they start looking for jobs and apply for jobs when someone with expertise is shaded.
What is an example of job shadowing?
- Observing meetings and interactions with client
- Fulfill office tasks or support projects
- Conduct professional and administrative information interviews
- Monitor a particular career's functions and duties
- Take a tour of the premises
- Mission/visual statement and organisational charts of the organisation review
- Understand the policies and procedures of offices
- Review current professional trends
- Discover potential careers in the company and the profession
- Collaborate with the organization's key performers
What are Job shadowing questions?
Some of the job shadowing questions that you may want to ask the expert or professional during the job shadowing training are:
- What kind of qualifications does one need for this job?
- What interests you the most in the job?
- What are greatest challenges present in this job?
- What's the career journey? What are the opportunities for advancement for this job?
- What are some of the key things in this role I need to know?
- When you started this job, what helped you the most?
- Can you describe your typical working day?